 Marketplace / Shopping / 7598
Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 20:21:28 GMT

and later "The new bulk packs are calculated per brick to allow better
clarity for our customers.  Following product research among children and
adults, these are packed in single colours and sizes to avoid confusion of
content."

Translation: "We like to promote the value of Mega Bloks when ever we can."
(Quality doesn't matter in todays market to the average consumer, quantity is
where it's at.)

[snip]

I understand that 3033 takes a lot of shelf space and probably isn't a big
money maker but it supplements other sets and keeps kids (and adults) coming
back for more.  If they had told you that 3033 was a loss leader I would • accept
their reasoning gratiously but don't make it sound like they are doing us a
favor.

No actually 3033 is the only set that we don't pay 4 times as much for the name
brand "Lego"

and further on "This particular item [set 3033] will not be imported to
Europe for sale through Shop at Home.  Similar sets may appear in the
future, however the LEGO company is keen to expand what has been a very
successful launch of the 'bulk brick' range."

This is somewhat more positive but I doubt we will see 1200 pieces for $20
retail again.

I wonder why Lego would remove their single most popular set from store
shelves.  It is the only set that has had consistent turnover throughout the
year.

[snip]

I don't want S@H to give them away or even make a loss but it isn't to hard to
figure out that LD is probably making a killing on every bulk brick pack they
sell.

No they are making a killing.  The retail markup on sets is at least 40 percent
some sets are as high as 70 percent.  That is after TLC takes is profits.  Lego
should sell bulk packs a 3033 tub ratio prices and encourage mass purchases to
make up the difference.  Better yet let stores sell the polybags in a pegged
asile section.  That is the type of thing the average consumer would gobble up
in a heart-beat.  S@H is totally unknown to the average consumer.

Robert "ex-Lego customer" Spinks

I am not, and probably never will be an "ex-LEGO customer" but I can't say I
will be buying at the same pace I have been for the last few years.

-Mike Petrucelli