 Dear LEGO / 3177
Re: No more Blue Tub... And is this the kick in the pants that Eric dreaded!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 02:24:38 GMT

Perhaps they shipped some of the remaining tubs to Australia in order to
partially compensate us for a complete lack of anything
bulk/interesting/useful like Shop@Home. Ha! Ha! I'll bet that K-Mart
imported them themselves in order to rid themselves of stock in the US
or something.

Tim (who will hopefully stop living where the Lego is not
bulk/interesting/useful)

Robert Spinks wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Eli Donati writes:

Just one min this set 3033 was and still is available in Australia <snip>

Indeed - I had spotted that, but given that 3033 is about to be
discontinued, it did not seem worth fussing over Lego's poor grasp of geography.

So the bloke who wrote back to Eric FROM lego like most people who work at lego does not know
about there  product and never pasted geography in school.

In the unquoted portion of the letter to me, he said he researched the
matter in depth.  For example, he knew the tub was made in the UK, but the
bricks in Switzerland and Denmark, which squares with what I'd discovered.

So just to reinterate
yes the 3033 tub is available out the USA in Oz

Yes.  Until 31 May.  In is now an ex-product, which Lego has discontinued.
But stock still exists in the shops.

Q. so what can you do if you want this set ?
A, come talk to the boys and girls at loc.au and ask nicely if WE can get
them for you since the British pound is a lot stronger then the ozzy lira
you shouldn't have to go with out eating to support your lego habit.

Again, I looked into this.  The £ price of 3033 in Australia is (I think)
about twice as much as it is in the USA, after discounts.  Then you must add
shipping.  So, the opportunity to spend all that money to ship something
12,000 miles from Australia (which was originally manufactured just 600
miles from where I live!) does not appeal.  I also have a number of USA
contacts who offered to do the same, and even THAT worked out too costly
(but, oddly STILL cheaper than buying the same quantity in the UK).  I think
I shall stick to boot fairs, and enjoy the "lucky dip" element.

Robert "still an ex-Lego customer" Spinks