 Dear LEGO / 3075
Re: No more Blue Tub...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:27:51 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Robert Spinks writes:
In lugnet.general, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
I fully expect the Blue Tab to be no more in Canada, just based
on observation.

Look on the bright side - perhaps the local market is saturated, and they
can't sell any more in _your_ part of Canada.  I mean, if 3 retailers local
to you were ALL selling it, maybe there is a limit to how many bricks
non-AFOLS can buy - and the limit has been exceeded!

I hope that's just the case, Robert.  Windsor does get nailed by
people coming over from the USA too, so the market drains quickly.

But I should probably clarify my observations for the Canucks, and why
it leads me to believe the Blue Tub is going away in Canada.  Note
that personally I'm too lazy to call any distributors to find out
the "real story"  :]

After spending the Xmas Holidays back home in New Brunswick, I
drove back here to Windsor, Ontario.  Over the holidays and on the
way I stopped at some of the Zellers, Wal-Marts, TRUs, Bays, and
Sears in the following places:

Saint John, N.B.
Frederiction, N.B.
Edmundston, N.B.
Montreal, QC
Brockville, ON
Kingston, ON
Toronto, ON
London, ON
Windsor, ON
and probably some other places I can't remember.  Note that this
covers a stretch of Canada about 2000 km long.

Out of all of those stops and excluding TRUs, I found one single
3033 Tub.  It was in a Wal-Mart hidden waaaay up on the top shelf,
and was still priced at Cdn$12.00 (US$8).  The TRUs had plenty,
but still at full price (Cdn $30)

Then about 2 months ago, TRU put it's Blue Tubs on sale for about
Cdn$19.  The local Windsor TRU got blown out instantly.
I got some on RainCheck eventually a few weeks later.  But
they're still cleared out on the shelf last I saw.

So considering that the places I checked in 3 different provinces
were empty, except for TRUs, and that TRU subsequently put them
on a steep sale as well, I believe they are being discontinued
in Canada.  It could be that a brand new shipment will arrive
sometime this year, but that seems silly when everyone just
clearanced them out this winter (especially Wal-Mart!).

Maybe someone else can get some official info, but me, I figure
they're "gone".  So I stocked up (got 5) and was lucky to get that.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada