 Marketplace / Shopping / 7456
Re: Old sets being sold in new guise?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 06:40:16 GMT

in article GDLro3.9BH@lugnet.com, Ka-On Lee at ko_lee@yahoo.com wrote on
5/19/01 5:57 PM:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Torsten Fresemann writes:
Their aggreement with Lucas may keep them from re-releasing space sets.

LEGO labels the 'Life On Mars' shipping boxes with one word, 'SPACE'. I know
various fans don't consider LoM to be 'SPACE', but LEGO sees, markets, and
ships it that way. If Lucas wanted to keep them from releasing 'SPACE' sets,
I would think the boxes would be labeled with something other than, 'SPACE'.

I think any restrictions to the Lego line are going to be practical more
than contractual. Lego can only make and sell so many sets a year, it is
best to diversify and offer a broad range of product, rather than offering
space, space, and more space. The Star Wars 2001 lineup (largest set is $50)
is not as beefy as the 2000 line up (three sets at $100+ in one year!),
leaving some room for LoM. LoM probably also shares some 'Town' market with
Alpha Team.

I really think that if there was some kind of 'SPACE' restriction with the
Star Wars contract, that LEGO would have either not released the LoM line,
or marketed it very differently.

Consider how they swap Castle and Ninja.

Rob