 Marketplace / Shopping / 6606
Re: Final Round of Target Clearance.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:27:18 GMT

AS USUAL, the Bay Area is stubbornly refusing to drop prices along with the rest of
the nation.

I'd like to have a word or two with the Regional Coordinator for this area.  OK, a
few thousand, very LOUD words, many of them profanity.

Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Andrew Lipson writes:

Mark Cornell wrote:

I went into my local Target today (Concord, NH) to check if the long awaited
final round of clearance had started.

Hehehe. I um... visited... several different Targets today. Two of them
weren't marking stuff down to 75% off, though. I got pretty lucky at my
second stop and cleaned out some motor kits, a couple of pit droids, a
Trade federation MTT (worst Lego model I've ever seen but a great set of
parts) and some other stuff. And I picked up various odds and ends
at other stops, finds generally petering out as time elapsed since 8am
increased...

   Unfortunately the stores around my area were hit n' miss too.  I
   nabbed a Guarded Treasury, a Battle Droid, and a Pit Droid at 75%,
   but everything else was still only at 50%.  I was told to "try next
   Wednesday" but no explanation as to why some things had fallen and
   others had not--even when I went to the price change folks they said
   no order to discount had come through.  Every other one was picked
   clean, although most had lots of Destroyer Droids for $24.90 each.
   One suggestion:  SCAN EVERYTHING.  The discount level is much less
   uniform this time around than last time, in my experience.

   On a more positive note, I ran into Eric Brouwer at my first stop,
   and we greedily parsed sets until getting the stonewall at the
   scanners and then from the management.  Ack.  BTW, Eric, those
   5 UCS sets were nowhere to be seen when I got to that one store at
   10am.  I have a feeling things are vanishing and reappearing as
   they do stock shifts, so check back.

But my best find was at my sixth(!) stop, this evening, at the Menlo
Park NJ Target Greatland. The clearance aisle had been very thoroughly
picked over (= had been hit by a tornado) but on the top shelf of the
normal Lego aisle I spotted an RC car and a single solitary remaining
4561 train set. Neither had a clearance sticker on them (which is
presumably why they were still there at 6 pm on 75% day) but they
scanned
at 75% off. I couldn't quite restrain my grin at the checkout and I
think
the girl there realized this stuff wasn't entirely for my kids...

   It's good to see that someone is combing that Target while I'm away,
   Andrew.  ;)  That's usually my Happy Hunting Ground (that and my
   two Magic Wal-Marts), and you may be surprised by what just sort of
   "rears up" at that store.  I found nine 4128 buckets for $2.84 apiece
   about 18 months ago...ahhh, yes, there are wonderful things about
   central NJ, despite what the Turnpikers would have you believe.

   best

   Lindsay

--
Tom Stangl