 Marketplace / Shopping / 5751
5750  |  5752
Subject:
New 'Studios' and 'Life on Mars' sets on the shelves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:28:05 GMT

I went to TRU in Columbia, SC last night, and they had several of the new sets:

Life on Mars:

7310 Mono Jet
7311 Red Planet Cruiser
7312 T3-Trike
7313 Red Planet Protector
7314 Recon-Mech RP
7316 Excavation Searcher
They didn't yet have:
7315 Solar Explorer
7317 Aero Tube Hanger

Studios:

1351, 1352, 1354, 1355, 1357 (I think that was all)

I am getting the Life on Mars set names off of the back cover of one of the
instruction books, where they have a picture of all of the boxes in the
series.  Unfortunately, I don't have the names for the Studio sets.  The
store was closing, and I didn't think to write them down while I was there.
Also, the prices were not yet marked, so I had to take all of the sets to a
customer price scanner on the floor and check them myself.  Again, I didn't
write them down.  Sorry.

I bought 7310, 7311, 7312, 7313, 7314, and 1357.  It was late, so I didn't
put but a couple of the small ones together, but I did open all of the sets
to look at the new peices.  Here are my notes, as best as I can remember (I
am at the office).  Note that some of these peices may not actually be new,
but they are at least new to me.
7310:  A couple of new(?) light purple-gray-blue peices, and a reflective
blue mini-fig helmet shield.  I put this one together.  It is OK, nothing
great.  I does't balance well on the one central wheel.
7311:  A few new(?) verdigris(? light green-gray) peices, a new mini-fig
named Altair whose body and legs were each 2 other shades of green I think,
and cylindrical click-hinge peices that can make a "chain".
7312:  A few new(?) light blue peices, the same helmet shield, 2 new hose
peices that are pretty neat, 1x2 gray brick with 2 friction connectors on
one side spaced even with the 2 studs on top of the brick, and small yellow
rubber bands (not the Technic pulley type, just regular rubber bands).
7313:  More of the new light purple-gray-blue peices, a new blue and teal
mini-fig named Centauri, more 1x2 bricks with 2 friction connectors, 2 more
of the hoses, a new trans-black curved windshield compatable with click
hinges, and 2 new propeller housings that sit on top of the legs.
7314:  Several new(?) nauseous Pepto-Pink peices that really ruin the set
(what was Lego thinking?), a new teal and white mini-fig named Antares, more
new hoses, a 2-piece grabber hand, more yellow rubber bands, and the new
trans-black curved windshield.
1357:  New cylindrical click hinge with cross-axle hole

Basically, the new Life on Mars sets are nothing great.  Wait until they are
on sale.  I wish I would have only bought one or two instead of five.  The
new mini-figs are pretty silly too.  Don't rush out to buy these sets.

David