 Marketplace / Shopping / 20
Re: Wal-Mart Clearance is underway! {FOTW}
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:26:38 GMT

James Brown writes:
Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Hi all-

Robert M. Dye found, back in late December:

Green Technic Car (reg $7.77) - $5.00
White Technic Car (reg $9.99) - $7.50

  It's time to start combing Wal-Marts again; they're clearing
  things out with alacrity.  While Princeton's was just on "normal"
  half-price schedule, having one of the 6479 Res-Q base ($35),
  one of the Xtreme-Team Challenge  ($25), and about nine of
  the Hydronauts 6180 Search Sub ($25), I happened to appear
  in North Brunswick, NJ precisely at the moment when that Wal-
  Mart was shifting its clearance merchandise and literally *dumping*
  sets into bins!  I managed the following:  10 of the white $10 Technic
  cars for $1 each; five of the green ones, also $1 each; 4 of 6556
  Scuba Squad, $1 each; 6 of 6836, V-Wing Fighter, $2 each; 3 of
  the Rocky Ridge Playscape-themed set for $1 each; and three of
  the giant grey baseplates for $4.44 each.

  Yeah, it was a good day.  Might be worth checking out other
  Wal-Marts--there's apparently a lot of discretion available to
  the individual store in what they mark down and how much.

  LFB.

I believe the term I'm looking for is "grumble grumble bitch bitch" :)

I went to my local Walmart this weekend (and a couple others, besides), and
found the great, amazing, fantastic clearance item:  Twisted Time Train had
been marked down from it's discount price of $24.97, to the all-new low-time
clearance price of $24.00. (prices in CAD, BTW)

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed that here in Canada, I've got to be
extremely lucky to find a single store that will ever do more than a 20% sale.
Even the Walmarts and Zellers (formerly K-mart, to you US folks) seem to think
that they can just continue to sell on retail forever.

The closest thing I've seen to a FOTW was when TRU marked their Western sets
down to 50% on Boxing day.

Am I alone in this?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

up the december 97 Zellers offer 25% off the first ( or second ?) week of the
month, Last year  it was down at 20% and this years it seam to be 15% :-(. I
also saw last summer 25% off at TRU on all Lego but since then only occasionaly
some old stuff they want to get rid off at about half price.

Martin