 Marketplace / Shopping / 12114
Re: What's up with the Wal*mart Lego selection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:52:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jon Palmer wrote:
In the small towns outside of Tulsa, OK the selection 2 months ago was
exactly as follows (top to bottom):

Bionicle figures in cans
Knights Kingdom figures in cans
Some Quatro and Duplo

And that was it, though I'm sure they have some Star Wars sets now.
Also, all the stores seem to have an equal amount of Mega Bloks.

The super centers here in town have a bigger selection,
but it's gotten to the point where I can't walk into them because the
stores are so loud and disgusting.

Even the lure of 75% clearances is almost not enough now. When I walk
into Wal-Mart I feel more like I'm at a big feeding trough than in a
store. It almost feels dystopian.

I'd much rather spend a few more cents or dollars at Target or at S@H.

And then there's the economic impact of Wal-Mart.  A recent study from the
Pennsylvania State University,
http://cecd.aers.psu.edu/pubs/PovertyResearchWM.pdf
concluded that the presence of Wal-Mart in a county increased the family poverty
rate or lowered the magnitude of the decrease in family poverty rate (meaning
that in counties with a Wal-mart and a decrease in poverty rate, the decrease
was less than those counties without a Wal-mart).  The study covered the
economic boom years of the 90's.

Definitely interesting reading, and should be in the hands of anyone fighting a
Wal-mart move to their backyard.

FUT to market.theory since this thread is a better fit there.

John