 General / 50462
Re: What's up with the Wal*mart Lego selection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:09:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
Lately, I've noticed a disturbing trend.  The stores in the following cities
have *very little* Lego on the shelves:

It's a nationwide trend, from what I've heard. WalMart has been gradually
favoring MegaBloks for various reasons, and not purchasing as much Lego. Mainly,
I think it's due to WalMart's analysis software which helps them predict what
will sell well and what won't. Their scheme is based on keeping the inventory
moving, and not so much on having selection. So they pick the best movers and go
from there.

FWIW, my local Wal*Mart (western PA) just added a bunch of Star Wars EPIII stuff
to its LEGO aisle, while the MegaBloks inventory has remained about the same for
several months.  I know that MegaBloks has new sets coming out within a month or
so, but in my area at least the LEGO inventory seems to be holding strong at
Wal*Mart.  Target has recently built up its LEGO aisle, as well.

Dave!