 General / 50461
Re: What's up with the Wal*mart Lego selection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:59:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
Lately, I've noticed a disturbing trend.  The stores in the following cities
have *very little* Lego on the shelves:

It's a nationwide trend, from what I've heard. WalMart has been gradually
favoring MegaBloks for various reasons, and not purchasing as much Lego. Mainly,
I think it's due to WalMart's analysis software which helps them predict what
will sell well and what won't. Their scheme is based on keeping the inventory
moving, and not so much on having selection. So they pick the best movers and go
from there.

You'll notice, however, that Toys R Us pretty consistantly has a fantastic
selection. Plus, they have a few "TRU-only" sets! Target's selection (around
here anyway) is always sort of inbetween. More than WalMart, but less than TRU.
They do occasionally have ridiculous markdowns, however, getting to 50%+ off. If
I'm buying Lego retail, chances are I'm buying it at a Lego store, TRU, or
Target. MAYBE KayBee occasionally. I haven't bought from WalMart for quite some
time because they simply don't seem to offer what I'm looking for.

DaveE