 General / 50463
Re: What's up with the Wal*mart Lego selection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:11:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
I live in a small town in western North Carolina and I often travel to nearby
towns and cities to look for deals on Lego in places like Wal*mart.

Lately, I've noticed a disturbing trend.  The stores in the following cities
have *very little* Lego on the shelves:

Boone, NC
Marion, NC
Lenoir, NC
Hickory, NC
Wilkesboro, NC
West Jefferson, NC
Lincolnton, NC

When I say very little, I mean about one section of an aisle.  I realize that
Lego stock is typically reduced this time of year in most stores, but I have
never seen it so low in the past.  Also of interest, is that the stock that is
being carried is not made up of traditional "sets."  There are Duplo and
sometimes Quatro tubs and buckets, Bionicle cans, and basic brick tubs and
buckets.  I had to go to three stores to find any x-pods, as a matter of fact.

Has anyone else noticed this extreme inventory reduction at Wal*Mart?  Is this
what TLG means when they talk about reducing inventores at retailers in their
recently released report?

Based on the stores within a 50-mile radius of me, I am finding it really hard
to buy Lego.  Can this be good for the company?

Same here in Charleston, SC.  However, Target still has an excellent LEGO
selection and while they're not as widespread as WalMart, they seem to have a
few stores in every region (I'm not sure about the Boone area though).

-Orion