 Marketplace / Shipping / *37 (-20)
  Re: Packaging

(...) Plastic bag for sure, and styrofoam peanuts instead of newspaper. They compress less so you can cram a bunch in and rigidise the packing, and they weigh less too. Go to a concern that gets stuff sent in and you no doubt can get some for free. (...) (26 years ago, 12-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Packaging

Anyone got any general tips on packaging? I'm just about to send off an 8480 space shuttle. I'd like to put it in an extra cardboard box to make sure it's safe, though so far I've completely failed to scrounge any such boxes off work :( Assuming I (...) (26 years ago, 11-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Seeking the Ultimate Truths on International Shipping

(...) Dream on ;=( (...) Tell them it's a "gift". That (usually, but not always) works. (...) You probably won't be met by officials. You might not get the package till you pay a certain fee, though. Of course, the few times I've had to pay customs (...) (26 years ago, 11-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

(...) Good. *chuckle* Jasper (26 years ago, 11-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Not happy with delivery US to UK

(...) Yep - you're right - it's got a postage thingy on the box. Thanks, Paul! That's wierd. I've had things delivered by post before and the UK post office have always left a note telling me to pick things up at the depot if I've been out before. (...) (26 years ago, 10-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Seeking the Ultimate Truths on International Shipping

I don't check this newsgroup very often. Please send any responses to my email address as well as the newsgroup. I've just finished up my first auction, and I'm having trouble getting adequate shipping rates for my non-US bidders. It seems that the (...) (26 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Not happy with delivery US to UK

I've had similar trouble with things I've bought from eBay. The post office employees will bend and stuff a priority folder into my mailbox rather than hold it or use one of the parcel lockers available. (I got a nice wrinkle down the back of an old (...) (26 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

Jasper, I solemnly promise never to send you anything. JSA;-) (...) (26 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

(...) Errmm... You expect us to believe you? and if we do, I'd ask you never to send something to me - 17.5% VAT adds up on sets like the RIS. Jasper (26 years ago, 8-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Not happy with delivery US to UK

(...) Isn't Parcel Post just the regular US mail which would then be delivered by your local mail service. Easy to tell, are there any stamps on it? (26 years ago, 8-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Not happy with delivery US to UK

I've just received my first order from the States (to the UK) - the Dacta community vehicles from Kaplanco. I'm not happy with how it was delivered. I just discovered the box on Saturday, left out in the rain, by the front door and wedged in amongst (...) (26 years ago, 8-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) at (...) on (...) (after (...) 1 (...) was (...) only (...) I'm just guessing, but I think that once they opened the first one and they hit paydirt, your name and address was put on their shit list and you're (...) (26 years ago, 8-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

(...) Er, why, uh, the truth, of course ;-) JSA (26 years ago, 7-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

(...) Just curious, what do you put on the green tag? I always put gift. Julie (26 years ago, 7-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

(...) [snip] I have sent a dozen or more parcels of LEGO and games to Canada with no nasty Customs stories that I know of. Sounds like you have a legitimate gripe, 'though much good that does you when dealing with the gummint. I have sent to (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping to Canada

Being from Canada, I can say that I have a hard time selling Lego to people in the US. My first sale, a Lego Mindstorms RIS went across the boarder (during Christmas). I put 'gift' on the pkg and it was insured. The person receiving the package did (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Shipping to Canada

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a rant, or a peeve, or a legitimate gripe. ;-) Of the last 5 packages I've received from the US, all of them were stopped at customs, one of them was opened, and I was charged a handling fee, and GST on all of them, and (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Paying in foreign currency

(...) I can't believe it - I just tried to find out about these. The post office in the UK said it had stopped doing them and to try the banks. My bank - well to be honest, I'm not sure they knew IMOs were. They said I could do a direct telegraphic (...) (26 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Shipping from the UK

(...) I think you may contact Ian Bishop at ian@goodlife.demon.com.uk He searched several pssibilities to send my 6560, which having also a weight of 2.5 kg approx. (...) Till this monday, I had no problems with customs, all my packages came to me (...) (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Shipping from the UK

(...) Someone's having a joke here... :) (...) OK - cheers, Chris - I've found the calculator. Unfortunately, it seems I'm stuck with Parcel Force as the calculator told me the maximum airmail weight for small parcels is 2kg - and the 8480 space (...) (26 years ago, 18-Feb-99, to lugnet.market.shipping)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact