 Marketplace / Shipping / 31
Re: Not happy with delivery US to UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:21:47 GMT

I've had similar trouble with things I've bought from eBay.  The post
office employees will bend and stuff a priority folder into my mailbox
rather than hold it or use one of the parcel lockers available.  (I got
a nice wrinkle down the back of an old Atari Pole Position service
manual that way.)  In the US, there are a few things that you can do.

1. Write 'Do not damage or fold' on the package.  The post office is
then legally required to put it in a parcel locker or hold it at the
post office.  You can also call the post office and request that all of
your packages be treated this way, but I doubt that would work for me,
since I've never seen the same person on my mail route twice.  (I think
I'm on a trainee's route.)

2. Write 'Customer will pick up at post office.' on the package, and
circle it with a red marker.  I shipped some stuff to myself from my
parent's house to Knoxville after Christmas, and I didn't want the post
office to leave all my clothes and Lego sitting on my front porch.  The
lady at the post office suggested that I write this, and it worked fine.

I don't know if any of these would work in the UK or anywhere else, but
it's worth asking...

Naji
n (dot) norder (at) utk (dot) edu

Simon Robinson wrote:
Anyone any similar experiences? Or does anyone know anything about what
ParcelPost is in the States?

Thanks!