 Marketplace / Shipping / 21
20  |  22
Subject:
Shipping to Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 02:25:58 GMT

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a rant, or a peeve, or a legitimate gripe. ;-)

Of the last 5 packages I've received from the US, all of them were stopped at
customs, one of them was opened, and I was charged a handling fee, and GST on
all of them, and the whole process made each of them take (avg) 2 weeks
(between 9 and 13 business days) from post date until I can pick them up (after
noon the day after I receive notice of a package waiting)
On the green customs tag, 1 was marked 'merchandise' 3 were left blank, and 1
was marked 'gift', but all five were stopped at the border.  One of them was
insured, the others were not.  Oddly, the one that was insured is also the only
one that was opened.

Is there anyway that I can get around the customs-imposed delay and addition
fees?  An extra week of delivery time and $7-$10 bucks every package starts to
grate after a while.

Have other Canadians run into this?  Is customs trying to crack some kind of
toy/drug smuggling ring?  Or do I just have bad karma?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/