 Marketplace / Services / 240
Re: Thanks to Troy Cefaratti for providing BB with 20,000 Color Images of Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:16:55 GMT

* what are the 12 "basic" colors?  I see dark pink is not one of them,
  although it is very common in Belville sets.

Black, Blue, Green, Red, Brown, Light Gray, Dark Gray, Yellow, White, Tan,
Purple and Orange.

More colors are coming.  I'm working on the next 15 now, which includes the
transparent colors and some more of the "light" solid colors.

The images are generated using a VB Script inside Excel to automate MLCAD.
As MLCAD only outputs BMPs, at 900kb each, this process takes up alot of
disk space.  About 1.5gb per color.  So i'm limited in how many I can run
off at once.

My intention is to do all of the colors.  And then after that, to move onto
the non-official parts to fill in any missing pieces.

* If the color is not one of the 12, why is a different image being used
  than before?  The new image is not as good, at least in one case.
  See bendyarm's store under stairs.  The non-specified color stairs
  that just say "dark pink" in the description look better than
  the dark-pink-specified stairs, even though neither is colorized.

Dan has it programmed right now to default to WHITE for any color that isn't
currently supported.  I have a feeling that it is using the new white
images, and not the old ones.  See below.

* the brown items that I have (log bricks, log walls) are too saturated
  with color.  They need some lightening or graduated lightening to see
  the curvature.  Currently they look like brown blobs.
  Maybe leave the black lines for edges and fill in the surfaces with
  a very light brown?
  Now I'm also noticing the same effect for other colors.  Too saturated,
  and no edge lines, so it is hard to see where the edges are.

The images are generated from MLCAD and then reduced using Photoshop to the
correct size.  The images that I made for dan were 160x120, although to do
disk space limitations Dan reduced them back down to 80x60.

I think it may be the fact that they were reduced twice that is causing the
muddiness.  Or just the fact that 80x60 may just be too small for some of
these images to come out looking good, especially in the darker colors.

If there is a way to control the thickness or color of the edgelines in
MLCAD sothat they stand out more, let me know and I'll give it a try.

Also, i'm discussing with Dan the removal of images of part/color
combinations that just aren't possible (such as purple roadplates) as a way
of allowing for the use of the larger images while still being under the
disk space restrictions.

Troy