 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10058
Re: Shipping from Canada to US questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:32:10 GMT

Heather Patey wrote in message ...
There is a catch, though... there is a minimum density factor applied to • large
light packages.  I haven't been able to figure exactly what the multiplier • is -
I let the post office price these for me now - but I've found to my • detriment
that unopened sets are light enough for this to apply, although pieces • should
not, unless they're raised baseplates or domes or something like that. • It's
the seller's responsibility to charge you appropriately for shipping, of
course, but if the package is marked with more shipping than you'd think by
looking at the website, that's why.

This minimum density factor only applies to parcels, not small packets,
luckily, but when they first started doing this last year I got bitten
several times when mailing sets or baseplates. To calculate the "minimum
density" weight you take the 3 dimensions of the package in cm, multiply
them all together, then divide by 6000, which gives you the weight in kg.
They calc the shipping rate from the higher of that weight or the actual
weight. I now cut down my boxes to the minimum size possible for the
contents, try and keep as many as possible down in the Small Packet regions
and pay a lot more attention to the weight/volume of larger packages before
I quote a shipping fee.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1