 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10055
Re: Shipping from Canada to US questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:24:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Brad Hamilton writes:
Hi,

I was just looking at something on Brickbay from a Canadian Store (in
British Columbia).  I'm in Southern California in the U.S.

My question is, how much (in $US) does it typically cost to ship a small
package (say a pound) from British Columbia to Southern California?  Also,
how long does it typically take?

I'm worried because I've heard about some international shipping horror
stories (with customs).  Is this a problem between the US and Canada?

Any help on this would be appreciated.  If its going to cost a lot for
shipping, or potentially take a lot of time, then I don't want to bother.

I haven't had any trouble with packages crossing the border either.  Things do
take a little longer from Newfoundland than they would from BC, I've found,
even if heading to the east coast... go figure.  Since you're both out west it
shouldn't take much time.  The link to rates:

http://www.canadapost.ca/CPC2/common/rates/ratesgen.html#US

There is a catch, though... there is a minimum density factor applied to large
light packages.  I haven't been able to figure exactly what the multiplier is -
I let the post office price these for me now - but I've found to my detriment
that unopened sets are light enough for this to apply, although pieces should
not, unless they're raised baseplates or domes or something like that.  It's
the seller's responsibility to charge you appropriately for shipping, of
course, but if the package is marked with more shipping than you'd think by
looking at the website, that's why.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Heather
--