 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10056
Re: Shipping from Canada to US questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:48:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Brad Hamilton writes:
Hi,

I was just looking at something on Brickbay from a Canadian Store (in
British Columbia).  I'm in Southern California in the U.S.

My question is, how much (in $US) does it typically cost to ship a small
package (say a pound) from British Columbia to Southern California?  Also,
how long does it typically take?

I'm worried because I've heard about some international shipping horror
stories (with customs).  Is this a problem between the US and Canada?

Any help on this would be appreciated.  If its going to cost a lot for
shipping, or potentially take a lot of time, then I don't want to bother.

As someone who lives in Canada (TO) and mails a LOT of Lego to the US I can
try to relieve some of your fears.   First of all the cost for packages
under 1kg (2.2lbs) are pretty reasonable.  For airmail they are as follows:

0 - 250g  (.5 lbs) = $4.00CDN or $2.75US
250 - 500 g (.5 - 1.1 lbs) = $5.35Cdn or $3.75US
500 - 1kg (1.1 - 2.2 lbs) = $9.40 or $6.25US

These are all considered "SMALL" parcels.   Over 2.2lbs the prices go up
considerably.  Follow this link to the CanadaPost rate calculator.

http://www.canadapost.ca/CPC2/common/rates/ratesgen.html#US

As for time and reliability.  I have send literally 100s of packages with
only 1 "lost" package.  They packages will usually arive in about 5 business
days... sometimes quicker... occasionally up to 8 business days.

Hope this helps.
- Jeff