 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10072
Re: Shipping from Canada to US questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 01:47:27 GMT

[FUT lugnet.market.shipping]

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kevin Wilson writes:

This minimum density factor only applies to parcels, not small packets,

Kevin, I got ripped on this one I think.  I was told too that it
didn't apply, but I have still had small packets get charged according
to minimum density weight.  I was cheesed because it bumped me
into the next weight bracket, which is basically double the cost.

luckily, but when they first started doing this last year I got bitten
several times when mailing sets or baseplates. To calculate the "minimum
density" weight you take the 3 dimensions of the package in cm, multiply
them all together, then divide by 6000, which gives you the weight in kg.
They calc the shipping rate from the higher of that weight or the actual
weight. I now cut down my boxes to the minimum size possible for the
contents, try and keep as many as possible down in the Small Packet regions
and pay a lot more attention to the weight/volume of larger packages before
I quote a shipping fee.

I don't ship enough small sets to use the small packet option much.
Something I got ticked about the other day was when I found out I
couldn't insure a small packet (air) to the USA.  According to
CanadaPost's website, international (non-USA) small packets cannot
be insured.  But it does not say anything about domestic and USA
small packets, so I assumed they were insurable.  Turns out they
are not.  Shipper beware...

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada