 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10052
Re: Shipping from Canada to US questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 05:28:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Brad Hamilton writes:
Hi,

I was just looking at something on Brickbay from a Canadian Store (in
British Columbia).  I'm in Southern California in the U.S.

My question is, how much (in $US) does it typically cost to ship a small
package (say a pound) from British Columbia to Southern California?  Also,
how long does it typically take?

The cost is, as far as I can tell, pretty much are equivalent to rates inside
the US.  I haven't checked them since they went up (too busy working on other
stuff to keep my store open), but I'd guestimate around $4 USD, on the high
side for a package about that size.

The time is a bit longer, and that is due to the border crossing - typically
it's 1-2 weeks, but I have had it take as long as 3 often enough that I don't
worry if a package isn't there before that's up.  I don't think I've ever had a
package take a month.

I'm worried because I've heard about some international shipping horror
stories (with customs).  Is this a problem between the US and Canada?

I've never had a problem that didn't boil down to an error on my part or
the other person's.  For stuff going into the US, you don't need to pay any
customs fees or anything, and it should get passed right through.

Any help on this would be appreciated.  If its going to cost a lot for
shipping, or potentially take a lot of time, then I don't want to bother.

AFAICT, it's pretty much equivalent.

James