 Marketplace / Auctions / 5492
Re: Question for eBay experts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:48:31 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Dave Oliver writes:
Right.  Your proxy is $50, but no-one else has placed a higher bid than
$3.50, so you should still be in the lead. Why are you complaining?
If no-one else bids, you get the item for $3.50!

I remembered (incorrectly, it sounds like) that there once long ago was two
text-entry fields -- one for a hard bid and one for a soft bid.  I was
surprised, confused, and horrified to see the first box go away [sic].

I read the eBay User Agreement carefully and didn't see anything preventing
people from bidding under multiple accounts.  And this isn't shilling so
it's not bid manipulation.  Why have they removed such a useful thing?  :-(

Why on earth would you pay more than you had to? I don't understand.

1.  Because it's worth far, far more than $3.50.  If it sold for $3.50, not
only would the seller be getting a terrible deal, but it would set a bad
precedent for such a rare lot (the lot is something I've never seen for sale
before anywhere).  Thus, if it went for a pitifully low amount like $3.50,
anyone who happened to have the same item tucked away in a closet (there must
be other people out there with this item) and happend to see the auction would
have much less incentive to sell theirs.

2.  It's also not completely a matter of paying more -- something this rare
surely would have climbed to $50 by the end of the auction anyway (still
several days away).  It pains me as a buyer to watch something climb slowly
when it could just as well climb quickly instead.

--Todd