 Marketplace / Auctions / 5477
5476  |  5478
Subject:
Question for eBay experts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:26:38 GMT

What happened to the dual-entry bidding boxes that used to be on eBay?  I
haven't placed any bids on it since sometime in 1998, so I don't know when
this changed or even if my memories of the old way are correct, but I thought
that the way it used to work was that you would specify both a current bid and
a maximum (proxy maximum) bid.  Then when your bid was accepted, the high bid
would jump to your minimum and later climb to your maximum.

But the way it seems to work now is that there is only a single box for a
proxy maximum.  What happened to the other box?  I just placed a bid of $50.00
on an item that was going for $1.00, and it only jumped to $3.50.  I had to
create a second account under an alternate email address and then resubmit my
bid of $50.00 from that account to get the price to jump up straight to where
I wanted it to be originally.

I read the eBay User Agreement carefully and didn't see anything preventing
people from bidding under multiple accounts.  And this isn't shilling so it's
not bid manipulation.  Why have they removed such a useful thing?  :-(

--Todd