 Marketplace / Auctions / 5484
Re: Question for eBay experts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:16:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kevin Wilson writes:
I just placed a bid of $50.00 on an item that was going for $1.00, and
it only jumped to $3.50.  I had to create a second account under an
alternate email address and then resubmit my bid of $50.00 from that
account to get the price to jump up straight to where I wanted it to be
originally.

Why would you want to do that? Now you're committed to $50 even if
no-one else bids, when you might have got it for less.

It's worth at least that.  I wouldn't pay less.  But more practically, if
it's going to end up going for more than that, I want to know early on and
not at the last minute.  It's frustrating when things go up by tiny little
steps over several days when they could just as well go up by big steps and
get to (or at least closer to) the eventual price much more rapidly and
efficiently.

eBay user agreement relevant section:
5.5 Manipulation. Neither bidders nor sellers may manipulate the
    price of any item nor may you interfere with other user's listings
or
    auctions.

It's not shilling, but I'd call it bid manipulation.

I wouldn't.  They don't define what bid manipulation is, and looking at a
dozen or so other auction sites which do define it somewhat, it seems to mean
either:

a)  a seller artificially and unfairly inflating the price, or
b)  a buyer artificially and unfairly deflating the price.

I fully intend to pay $50 if it goes for that -- I'm not doing anything sneaky
like bid shielding.

--Todd