Re: Heads are rolling... far far away...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.or.por
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:41:43 GMT

Well, this last week has been hectic and a bit of a roller coaster.
Tuesday night when I got home from BricksWest I sent off my references
to Spinnaker Networks in Pittsburgh PA. Wednesday, a new possibility at
the IBM Almaden Research Center (San Jose CA) started talking to me and
was very interested. Wednesday afternoon someone from IBM in Beaverton
OR (formerly Informix) contacted me. Thursday morning I got a call
giving me an offer. Thursday I got scheduled for an exit interview at
10:00 AM Friday, then went home and had another phone interview with
Beaverton. I went off to a job support group at church and when I came
back late in the evening, there was another message from Beaverton. I
put off responding to it figuring it was too late in the evening, then
called at Midnight (EST) to leave a message. Should have called earlier,
it was a cell phone. Set up a 9:00 AM interview. This morning was a nail
biter as I cleaned up and turned in the last of my computers and waited
for the interview call. That call went well, but they were going to have
to talk to upper management to get the OK. I asked about an extension at
my exit interview, no dice. On my way home I deposited my last paycheck
(but had not taken the severance check yet since I wanted to have a
lawyer look at the agreement). At noon I made an appointment with a
lawyer. Around 2, the Beaverton manager called and said it looked like
he could make me an offer and they could undo my exiting. He confirmed
the offer a short while later and gave me 20 minutes to make a decision.
I called a friend and talked stuff through a bit, and then sat down and
made a comparison chart of the two offers. In the end, I decided to take
the IBM offer.

So, it looks like within the next few weeks I will be heading out to the
Portland/Beaverton OR area. Perhaps you can look forward to some 12v
action in the next PNLTC display...

I'm still working through this decision, but I feel it is a good one.
I've been interested in the Portland OR area since first visiting there
a few summers ago. I like the area, it's got good church activity for
me, and good LUG activity, and even looks like it will be at least
decent for caving.

I will miss my friends in NC and the rest of the East coast very much,
but I expect I will be attending BrickFest.

Frank