 Local / United Kingdom / 8282
Re: Request For Comments: Proposal to set up a club for UK Fans of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:16:35 GMT

This time it's different. With the recent encouraging LLW events/meetings
there has been some remarkable enthusiasm stirred up in the UKAFOL community
(attendies and 'wish-I-had-been-there's alike). I was there in April for the
RLD and if Tony had posted his email that evening I'm sure the response
would have been far more positive - all those I spoke to agreed that they
would like to see a development of the "UK AFOL" relationship with TLC/LLW
with clear and obvious benefits to both parties. The small group of AFOLs
who subsequently arranged and attended a meeting shortly afterwards were, in
the eyes of LLW, limited in their commitment because 'we' ARE NOT a
club/association, we are individuals with a common interest. I wasn't
involved in the meeting, so please forgive me if I've misunderstood any of
this:-

This time - we have a route to develop better access to special bricks

This time - there are more of us (check popularity of next LLW event)

This time - we are big enough to give something back in return, as a group

The issues of constitution, financing, subs, splinter groups and labelling
of individual's bricks (Midlands Bionicle-Hating Lego Group excepted) are
just details and, as Tony says, all to be established based on general
concensus. Personally, I think Tony has angled his request too far in the
direction of not upsetting or offending anyone as none of us (myself
included) wants to assume the role of spokesman for the UKAFOL community
when the opinions/desires of the individuals are unknown.

However...for those of us who would like to reap the potential benefits -
Are you in or out?

I'm in - I volunteer for the steering group

Being someone who has been actively involved in two clubs in the past, one
with a membership of just under 100,000, if you are clear about the rules
and role of the club then most of the problems listed never arise.

I think that there is a need for some form of subscription, even if it is
merely a token gesture. This way it shows that the people joining are making
a commitment to the club and will abide by the descisions of the comittee IT
elects knowing its constitution.
The money is then used to cover any agreed expences incurred through the
running of the club, e.g. postal or as agreed by the commitee. Maybe I am
different but expenses such as travel, phonecalls etc, I have never been
reimbursed for as it was just part of the commitment to the club. The
majority of the money raised through subscriptions could go on paying for a
club event once a year. e.g. hiring of a larger hall, better location or
whatever.
As for the arguement of, "well why should I pay as I can't attend the
event", the subscription is usually only a few £s a year to show commitment.
Spending the excess on a yearly event prevents the build up of a large
amount which can cause problems.
I am a member of a group in Singapore which does just this, I have never
been able to attend any of the club events, but for what works out at £5 a
year, it is worth it for access to information and limited offers. Maybe as
a club we could set up a swaps page. Just a thought.

Being someone who has organised events as an individual, as a representative
of a club of 300 members, and as the events co-ordinator of a club of
100,000 members, people never took me seriously as an individual, but would
always listen when you represented hundreds and to say companies couldn't
help me enough when I had a backing of 100,000 was an understatement!!!

I want a club, offer my services to set one up, and feel the long term
benefits would be well worth the effort.

Michael.