 Local / United Kingdom / 6509
6508  |  6510
Subject:
Interesting Conversation re: Service Packs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 18:40:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

   Hi, all--

   I called in to check on the status of my lonely last two
   Euro S@H envelopes, and had a very interesting chat with
   a fellow on the phone banks (I won't give names, just in
   case).

   He told me that apparently there was some rumbling from
   within TLC about getting a small production run of some
   of the more instantly-popular items together, because
   the demand had apparently exceeded their wildest expec-
   tations.  It looks like the quantity of some packs sold
   within a week was well over 1,000 (5187, cough cough),
   which is absolutely unheard of--and the remarkable point
   that a lot of this traffic was done by proxy, e.g., US
   credit cards to European addresses.

   Another interesting bit of trivia:  Apparently someone
   at US S@H intimated that there was no demand for these
   sorts of accessories, thus why the effort to distribute
   them was belated and stunted.  Again, the predictions
   were *totally* inadequate for the reality.

   The big shocker for me was the very frank statement that
   S@H was "looking closely" at the possibility of putting
   a few things back into limited production.  He had no
   idea how closely that looking was being done, nor any
   idea if the moulds were even still in existence or what
   those "few things" might actually be, but IMHO it
   bears noting that we've at least made believers out of
   the phone bank and CS people at Lego S@H Europe in the
   profit potential of older parts, even outside the gold
   rush of a short-term strike.  And changes happen more
   quickly and surely the more people within a company
   who are aware!

   The only "if" is a question of how much it will take to
   saturate the market.

   all best

   Lindsay