 Local / United Kingdom / 6000
Re: LUG & LTC dates of formation update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:06:32 GMT

"Jon D Hayward" <JonDHayward@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:G9s3yD.9n5@lugnet.com...
I've thought about this too...

Simon Denscombe and Richard Franks both put a lot of effort into setting • up
organised areas at uklug.org.uk and lugnet.com/loc/uk/ respectively, but • all
has been quite for some time now. No offence intended to either Simon or
Richard BTW. I'm sure that they're both busy with other things and have
received a dire lack of information from the collective UKLUGers anyway.

Is it time for someone to volunteer to take over Richard's position? Is
Lugnet the right place to keep everyone informed? Should Simon's site be
kept up to date (by Simon or a.n.other)? Do we need a UKLTC too or should • it
just be within Lugnet / UKLUG? Do we want an official organizing body /
group? Should we set up a questionnaire and start collecting votes???

As an alternative to someone having to maintain a website, and buy a URL,
why not use one of the 'free' group sites
Here's one that I set up a while back when a couple of us were discussing
this - in the context of a UK only buy/sell/trade discussion group.

There is TONS of functionality in these groups that are ideal for something
like this
- discussion forums
- database
- polls
- upload area
- calender
- membership management,
etc, etc

Seems the very simple alternative to me
And apart from someone setting it up initially, no one needs own it or
maintain it
Apart from if you want to make it private and 'permit' members - which we
probably would (though anyone can ask to become a member, the owner just has
to approve their request)

regards
lawrence