 Local / United Kingdom / 5999
Re: Train fans: Let's get our act together before Gosport!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:02:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:
If there are no tables, or they are unsuitable, I am proposing that all
those that want to participate bring a wallpaper pasting table each
specifically for the layout.
We could even suggest that those who want to take part that don't have a
table already buy them from the same shop chain (e.g. Homebase) to guarantee
size uniformity. I think they only cost a fiver or so.

I didn't know they were so cheap.  In fact, I suspect Homebase will be the
worst offenders on price, but I'll check.

Well, here's what I found, for plain wooden tables:
Homebase:    £7-39
Wickes:      £6-79
Great Mills: £6-99

Don't have a B&Q.  The Great Mills ones looked the best constructed of the
three.  I haven't got any myself, but I know a few people who will have, so
I'll borrow theirs and save my money for Lego :)

How many people would be interested in this scheme? Let's see if we can get,
say, a 2x3 table rectangular layout (10 tables, hole in the middle) so I can
give my trains a good run :-)

Thinking about it, this might be a little large for any one room.
Personally, I'd prefer to have doubled tables and concentric circuits, on
separate controllers, anyway.  Then Huw can potter around while the rest of
us hold races.  :)  We could just improvise on the day, or do you want to do
a track plan?  I'm afraid I can't get in again to measure up until the Fort
re-opens in Easter.

Jason J Railton