 Local / United Kingdom / 5980
Re: Train fans: Let's get our act together before Gosport!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:38:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:
While I prefer the atmosphere of a home-based LEGOFest, one good thing about
having 'fests in halls is that there's plenty of space for setting up a
train layout.

Yes, I really want a lot of display models at this one.  I'll be bringing
along trains and classic space, and I'd like anyone else to suggest
collections that they can bring.  In fact, I'm thinking of making it a rule
that you have to present at least one built model (however small) - this may
well be your pass at the gate.

I'll also be starting a petition to get Jon D Hayward to bring something
he's actually built himself :)

We have set up fair sized layouts in the 2 hall fests we have had so far,
but they were less than ideal because they were set out on the floor and I
for one am uncomfortable about having my carefully crafted models kicked
about.

Well, it's not one big hall.  There are interconnected rooms like large
'bays' with entrances / thoroughfares at one end, so you could lay down
tracks in a U-shape around the closed end of a room.  But, there'd be room
for a table top display too.

So, I am proposing that we do a bit of planning to allow us to set up a
table-height layout.

First some questions for Jason.

Does the hall have tables?
Do the tables have those horrible raised metal edges that prevent their use
for trains?

Not enough tables.  I've been told there are about half a dozen school-hall
type tables - smooth tops with metal legs - around the fort which we may be
able to use.  But, this is not guaranteed.

If there are no tables, or they are unsuitable, I am proposing that all
those that want to participate bring a wallpaper pasting table each
specifically for the layout.

I don't know much about pasting tables, but I imagine they are roughly the
same size and (more importantly) height wherever they come from. Any height
differences can be sorted out using bricks and plates under the legs.

We could even suggest that those who want to take part that don't have a
table already buy them from the same shop chain (e.g. Homebase) to guarantee
size uniformity. I think they only cost a fiver or so.

I didn't know they were so cheap.  In fact, I suspect Homebase will be the
worst offenders on price, but I'll check.

How many people would be interested in this scheme? Let's see if we can get,
say, a 2x3 table rectangular layout (10 tables, hole in the middle) so I can
give my trains a good run :-)

Huw

Well, then we can do some concentric rings and have two or three trains
running at once.  I think this is a good idea, if the tables are cheap.  I
don't have any myself, or much room to store any - but I'll see if I can
scrounge a few anyway.

Jason J Railton