 Local / United Kingdom / 4845
4844  |  4846
Subject:
Tesco DigiCams - Pukka or Pants? (for photographing Lego <--relevant!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:39:32 GMT

Whilst trying to find some discounted Star Wars Lego in the North Harbour
Tesco's (Portsmouth), I saw a display stand for digital cameras, at a penny
under a ton.  Has anyone bought one of these, or know someone who has?  Are
they any good?

Spec is as follows:
Price: £199-99
Image: 640x480 (0.3 million pixels) in 24-bit colour (16.7 million colours)
Memory: 2Mb (16 standard or 32 economy pictures, JPeg compression)
Focus: Auto:50cm-infinity or Macro:20cm (15-30cm)
Flash: auto/manual/off
Batteries: 2xAA
Output: PAL composite (record pictures on videotape), Serial and USB to PC or
Mac (cables and TWAIN drivers included).  Can act as a WebCam on USB.
Note: No LCD viewer, but can delete last/all images.

Now, 640x480 is enough for me if it's good quality, and the macro mode is
essential for photographing Lego models.  However, if it's as grainy as most
640x480 WebCams, so that the first thing you do is load it into PaintShop Pro
and resample down to 320x240, then no thanks.  Then again, are they just
grainy because there's no decent light source (i.e. flash) indoors?

Argos do a similar spec digicam, but with an LCD viewer, for £150.  Their next
cheapest is £200, for a fairly good quality 1280x960 with LCD, but I don't
know how close it can focus.

If no-one knows anything, I might just get one (given their 28-day return
policy) and give it a try...

By the way, what was that Lego set given away with Persil?

Jason.