 Local / United Kingdom / 4556
Re: Jason J. Railton; de-lurking [& TVLF Trains]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 21:51:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Jon D. Hayward writes:

I think that most of us are train lovers, but not necessarily 'spotters'!

Have you managed to articulate your Pacific? Not an easy job! I guess that
you've used the old 4x4 size spoked wheels for the main driving wheels?
They'll run OK on straights (and curves if the train will 'bend'), but
points and cross-overs are a no-no.

Just Jono .oO

The front bogey is pivoted on an arm to allow it to swing out, as is the back
one.  The three driving wheels are (as you say) 4x4 spoked, and as close
together as they can be.  I don't know if this would make a corner or not.
I'm still working on a way to fit a flexible coupling between the rear bogey
and the tender.

What really made this model possible was figuring out how to add the fairing
over the tops of the wheels.  The front end took a lot of work too.  By the
way, it also has an opening firebox, being loaded by a (slightly over-sized
for this scale) driver.

I am soon to start my Mallard project (still collecting the driving wheels)
but I've been through the same thought processes. I am also considering using
the 4.5v train motor but providing the rear set of drivers and the rear pony
truck on one fixed bogey. Instead of being a 4-6-2 it will actually pivot as a
4-4-4 if you know what I mean.

It will have to be 6 wide due to the incredible length that an 8 wide model
will need, but of course the width will have to locally increase around the
skirts.

Of course, you could always model the modified version without skirts!

Are any other MOC trains going to be at TVLF then?

Not sure yet

JJ.