 Local / United Kingdom / 4545
Re: Jason J. Railton; de-lurking [& Tesco discounts]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:08:22 GMT

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message

Hi there! Good to have you here :-)

I've just been to Tesco's and found they've knocked down the Naboo Swamp • set
to £1-99 - a good source of brown and green bricks.  The transparent • dishes
are quite classy too, and you get a couple of droids.  I've got four of • these
sets now, which is enough to be getting on with.

Thanks for the pointer!

Not only, but also...

7110 Land Speeder £1.49
7130 Snow Speeder £4.24
7131 Anakin's Pod Racer £2.24

The Speeder Bikes have been knocked down too, but Chatham is all out :-(

Now, I'm considering a few trips - one to LSB and another to the TVLF.  If • I
can make it to Lawrence's gathering I'll bring my Classic Space
style 'Quirinius' mech, my 'TigerStark' mech built from Sebulba's podracer • and
a flare slizer, some Star Wars Dark Side rebuilds (Tie Interceptor from • Sith
Infiltrator + bits, Imperial Shuttle from SnowSpeeder, small AT-ST from A-
Wing) and a walking AT-AT.

We'll look forward to seing all this at TVLF!

As for trains, I'm a little short of wheels and I have no track.  I've • done an
0-4-0 Panier Tank with two carriages in Caledonian livery (that's a blue
engine and brown coaches) and, best of all, a 4-6-2 SA Pacific • (non-spotters?
That's the 'Mallard' - the fastest ever steam train at 126 • miles-per-hour).
Both include an old style 4.5-Volt motor unit.  But, do old-style wheels • with
the tyres removed work on Lego track?

I think that most of us are train lovers, but not necessarily 'spotters'!
The Caledonian is my favourite, despite living at the oposite end of the
country... (good ole Hornby catalogues, eh?) Have you managed to articulate
you Pacific? Not an easy job! I guess that you've used the old 4x4 size
spoked wheels for the main driving wheels? They'll run OK on straights (and
curves if the train will 'bend'), but points and cross-overs are a no-no.

I never had any trains (apart from a push-along black engine) because they
were pretty pricey sets, and there were no trains I really liked the look • of.
The UK has a long and proud history of steam trains, so it's a bit sad of • Lego
to insist on dumping dodgy European models on us.

Well, TLC is a bit European itself ;-)

My personal favourites are classic Space, Star Wars and Technic.  I've got
most of the minifig Star Wars sets, but I think the Technic ones and the • UCS
are just far too expensive for not much at all.  The sets I'd like to get • my
hands on are the 6890 Delta 1 explorer & shuttle (for the white wings) • and, of
course, the original 928 Space cruiser and moonbase.

Happy hunting!

Just Jono .oO