 Local / United Kingdom / 2507
Re: Anyone get Lego for XMAS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:00:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Michael Edwards writes:
I also got the 8448 super car, i have been playing around on the motors,
where did you mange to put the mircomotor. the steering to to stiff to move
the wheels?

I mange to power steer the car with the new motors and added a motor for the
speed, it is slooooooow.....

The steering rack has two small cogs. One is connected up to the steering
wheel. I put the micromotor on the back of the other, and used a plate on top
to hold it. I had to remove the grey triangle as it was in the way and use a L
piece instead.
I noticed that the steering assembly is easy to adapt to right hand drive for
us british too!

The steering moves freely using the micromotor when up on jacks, but the tyres
give too much resistance when it's stationary on the floor. However, when the
car is moving along, (powered by another motor) it will turn from side to side
quite happily. So I use one of the battery boxes with two switches for
steering, and another for movement.

I didnt find the steering stiff, just the width of the tyres that cause the
problem.

Also, as you say it is a bit too heavy for one motor to power, though the
gearbox is probably a source of a lot of friction. You could disconnect them
and drive the wheels directly and it would probably go a lot faster.

regards
lawrence