 Local / Sverige / 2309
Re: Hailfire wheel as turntable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:35:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.se, Eric Hampusgård wrote:

I have built a crane using a single Hailfire wheel as a turntable:
http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/cc2800/
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/construction/cc2800/early1d.jpg

Perfect.
We had ourselves a little LEGOfest meeting/gettogether here and we started
talking about how to make a turntable out of a pair (or possibly just using one)
of Hailfire droid wheels. I remembered seeing a bunch of pictures on Lugnet
about the subject so I went looking.

It is especially the small wheels you use as ballbearings we'd like to see the
attachment method of. But also how to attach the HF-wheel to the main structure.

Small wheels will be visible here:
http://www.wegmuller.org/lego/technic/ideas/hi_bearing2.jpg

Andreas; take a look at this pic too:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/construction/cc2800/early2a.jpg

Luckily you got scent of us and provided us with the links we were missing. :)
Great timing! Thank you.

No problem! You can see the hailfire wheel is not actaully attached anywhere,
but it is held on by the beams protruding through the centre. If you look at the
pic above you can just see the wheels that hold it down. You can also see the 4
wheels mounted sideways that keep the superstructure centred on the turntable.
They are quite a tight fit, but they work well and the turntable turns very
smoothly, even with a lot of weight on it.

There are 4 axles protruding from the base that stop the hailfire wheel from
turning by fitting in the outside "teeth".

ROSCO