 Local / Ireland/Éire / 87
Re: mlcad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 03:23:48 GMT

Hi Ronan,
I had meant to reply to Jake's message with a few tips for you to help
you along with beginning to use MLCAD, but I forgot until now.

With regard to positioning, one thing that helps me tremendously is
using the "spacing grid" buttons appropriately.  They appear on one of
the button bars, three settings "Grid Coarse", "Grid Medium" and "Grid
Fine", they appear as several, well, grids of squares, each getting
smaller as they progress.  You can also get to them through the menu,
under Settings, then Grid.

I most often leave the spacing grid set to "Grid Coarse".  This only
allows you to put pieces into your model at increments of 1/2 a stud in
the horizontal direction, and single plate heights in the vertical
direction.  Rotation is only allowed in 90 degree increments.  This
makes lining things up a snap!  At least for most pieces.

If I need or want to move a part of the model in increments that are
less than what is allowed by "Grid Coarse", then I build the whole
section that I am going to rotate or move first. Then I select all of
the pieces in that section, switch grids, and rotate or move that
section of the model all together.  This keeps me from trying to line up
parts that are sitting in some bizarre angle or spacing.

Hope this helps you get started... :-)

-Andy Lynch