 Local / Ireland/Éire / 83
Re: ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ie
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:23:28 GMT

As for the RIS - turning/position seems to be the hottest topic on the
robotics newsgroup. I am currently working on getting a handheld GPS to
determine the position and then send the robot away to do certain things,
and head back to where it started. When I have anything serious to show,
I'll add it to the web-site.

After reading this yesterday I decided to go and experiment with steering
again. After some playing around last night I have something which seems
relatively sturdy for steering built using technic elements (the last
steering rack was built using 8 turntable pieces, which contributed to its
flimsiness.) The wheels aren't on yet, though. I'm sort of planning to
build a remote control car with the big wheels from the RIS and the steering
thing. I'll keep you posted.

I have noticed some posts using rotation sensors to determine
position/rotation - have you tried these? Also, some interesting gearing
mechanisms. As for not using tracks - hmmm - not too sure about that. The
Mars exploration kit comes with some big wheels - I think...

Yeah - I've *used* the rotation sensors, but it's the actual turning (and
the friction of said) that causes me the problems, rather than positioning
the robot afterward.

Nick.