 Local / Ireland/Éire / 81
80  |  82
Subject:
mlcad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ie
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:12:47 GMT

Hi guys,

Any tips on mlcad ?
I find I'm too slow to get going i.e. it requires too much effort ;)
a lot of it seems wasted, mis-positioning etc
I've put  together a few simple models but it seemed to take forever
so I gave up. Any quick tips to save time?

Ronan

Nick Huggins <nick@irishgaming.com> wrote in message
I'm from Cork and have the Mindstorms RIS kit and the R2D2 kit - what a • blast.
I have been watching LUGNET for a while now and have tinkered with MCLAD,
L3P, POV-Ray, etc. I even built and modelled the BattleDroid. Check out:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mindstorms/bd.jpg

Hey - That's cool! I've been slowly learning MLCAD and only recently • started
to model things entirely virtually. I'll fire a few up onto BrickShelf one
day... Is the R2D2 kit any good? I'd avoided it and the Dark Side kit 'cos
they looked more for kids. Actually now that I've said that it makes no
sense. I mean, theoretically most Lego is for kids, right? Argh.

Mindstorms question for you (and anyone else) - Have you ever built any • kind
of mobile robot that *doesn't* work on treads that turns properly on • carpet?
I've been trying to do that for a while... I had a robot on the big wheels
you get with the RIS (1.0) which had a seperate rack and pinion steering
mechanism, but even on the lowest speed setting for the motor the stress • of
turning the wheels broke the mechanism after a couple of three point turns • :(

Smiths in Cork would be my only source, apart from Shop@home.

Aha! So there *are* Smythseseses outside Dublin!

Nick.