 Local / Canada / 1873
Re: Canada shop.lego.com now in Canuck-bucks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Allan Bedford wrote:
You are correct in saying that they charge all applicable taxes. However....
remember that on imported goods valued at more than $20 you are charged a $5 fee
in order to collect the taxes, on those items, for Revenue Canada.  When you
order from Shop At Home they take care of this (through some type of broker I
believe) so you don't have to pay it.  Think of that as a customs cost if you
like.

Yes, but that fee was already baked into the Shipping & Handling you were
paying when the prices were in US$.  That's what I'm trying to point out.
All fees (taxes and brokerage) were already being paid when the prices
were in US$.  None of that has changed now that the prices are in Cdn$.
But Jake indicated that these fees were somehow part of the reason for
inconsistent price ratios between US$ and Cdn$, but I'm contesting that
can't be true since we were already paying for them.  Doesn't really
matter anyhow I guess, since they'll charge whatever they like in any
currency.  Some prices have gotten better (like 10152), so it's still
not a bad situation.

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada