 Local / Australia / 9526
Re: Can you folks give any more info on this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:51:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

The census is covered by a framework of legislation that restricts the
legitimate ways that census data can be used by the government, the purpose of
which is to protect the privacy of individuals. The reason that you have to
identify yourself is because it is well-known in surveying that anonymous
surveys get less accurate responses than those with identification. So the
identification is to improve the data quality rather than an interest per se in
who you actually are. I rather suspect that to check someone was lying and then
prosecute them for doing so would almost certainly breach the legitimate uses
of census data somewhere along the line (I'm sure a lawyer would be happy to
argue this in court!). So identifying yourself and having a fine for lying are
basically to encourage people to tell the truth, in the belief that they can be
fined if they don't. However, the realistic likelihood of this happening is
probably 0.

One legitimate way is to sell the data to commercial interests.
Now they should ask questions about Lego, TLC/G could use that sort of info.
You can neglect to answer certain questions, just answer truthfully.

Also, I would like to see the court case in which we proved a Jedi-worshipper
was lying. It rather begs the question of getting a definition of religion and
a basis for testing a person's beliefs. How do we prove that someone is a
Catholic? I bet a lot of people identified on the census as Catholics haven't
been to church in years and probably say and do things not consistent with the
"beliefs" of Catholicism. Were they lying about being Catholic?

Personally I've attended all services of the Jedi faith (Episodes 1,2,4,5,and
6, some multiple times) and I have a number of books and icons (plastic images
of Jedi saints, e.g. a large Yoda and various keyrings, all sold by S@H
incidentally) in my house further attesting to my devotion to the Jedi
religion. I have certainly attended more Jedi events than any other religions
in the past couple of decades.

I only saw the first-half of Ep.2, I'll bet they ask questions on the 2nd-half.
(note: The multiplex projector went off the rails). Note to self - must put the
Yoda back together.

Dave Drew mentioned the following...
2. The CNN article isn't wholly correct. Some names and addresses are
kept by the ABS. There was an option where you can choose to release all
of your census answers after 100 years have elapsed. I'm sure the people
of the future will be just thrilled to find out that I live in St.
Lucia, and have no children.

Yes, they will be thrilled and thank you for doing it (about half of the
population did agree to preserve their data for historical purposes). I am
someone who uses census records from the UK in the 1800s and I love them.
Indeed, it was only the fact that I am someone who uses 100-year-released
census data, and hence do value its accuracy, that stopped me from claiming
adherence to the Jedi religion myself.

Followers of genie-ology must rely on there being no non-matrimonial events
or mystery donors fouling the stream.

What I think the Jedi-on-the-census form "proves" is that an increasingly large
number of Australians thought it was an irrelevant question to ask in the first
place, which is consistent with the highest ever response of "No Religion" also
recorded in this census.

pete.w (the truth is in the ABS)