 Local / Australia / 9103
Re: Next National Meet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:51:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
This is probably doable as long as a lot of people turn up.  Unfortunately
air travel is not generally considered compatible with large MOCs.  Armies
(bags of figs and a few sturdy vehicles) are fine - stately Melbournian
residences might have difficulty surviving Virgin Blue's baggage handlers

Which is why I choose to fly Qantas ;-)

Much of the damage to the Snottler on the SYD-BNE trip was apparently from
crushing (I'd packed it very tightly in the bag, and then the baggage
handlers had packed the bag even more tightly...), and packing it less
tightly helped alot on the way back.

The odd bit was that large walls of 1x bricks (the Snottler's amidships
hull) ended each trip in various stages of coming apart - gaps just opened
up between rows of bricks. I can't figure out if it was from twisting (not
likely considering I used a fairly rigid bag) or from vibration (and I'm
sure the plan didn't vibrate THAT much) or what.

And don't forget the purist method of showing a large MOC at a distant
location: Take the bricks, and build it there!

Cheers

Richie