 Local / Australia / 749
Re: Australian Roll Call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:10:27 GMT

Hi Dierdre :-)
Nice to meet you :-)
The more women here the better I think, sometimes I do feel a little
outnumbered. Though all the guys here are great.
I am aiming to get into technic soon, as I really want the RIS (maybe for
xmas, I have started hinting already) you sound like you are pretty competant
with it, what is the difference between 1 and 1:5 do you know?
The Duplo sets that you mentioned I could be interested in, though prior to
reading your post I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more (well
except for the new toolo, and the passenger train and maybe a couple of
tunnels.....) The large zoo set #2669 and the smaller zoo set #2668 could
tempt me though, were either of the sets you saw these ones and if so would
you mind emailing me with the store name?
My son is hollering loudly from the bath so I have to fly, very glad that you
have delurked :-)
"Talk" to you soon,
Rachel

In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Deidre,

I believe there's at least one other tas collector. I've forgotten the
details

Hi,

You're possibly referring to Frances/Francis Schroter/Schroeter who
was posting in late 98.  I tried to contact her/him/it on email at the
time and never received a response, no longer seems to be active.
I know one other local collector (mainly Technic), I pointed him in the
direction of lugnet several weeks ago, he's been here at least once,
I don't know if he's quietly lurking or not.

I've put out a hook in loc.au.tas.hob let's see if I catch any fish...

Also, when i was in Tas last [about 3 years or more ago <having read
everything I typed, more seems to be the main word here>], there were a
couple of good shops with old stock.

About 3 years ago was the best time to be looking for old stock in Tassie.
At the time I was concentrating on Duplo and was blissfully unaware of the
Lego stock life/collector following.

One of these was a bike shop and toy
store in New Norfolk [near you]<It was across the road from the commonwealth
bank>.

I'm not aware of this store, it probably no longer exists but I will
see what I can find out.  Most smaller toy stores in the Hobart region
have either completely closed down in the last couple of years or no
longer stock Lego.

The other store was in the
north west corner, and was also a bike shop/toy store.

There are two possibilities for this one.  It is either the Burnie Toyworld
(which has a bike store adjoined) or the Wynyard Sports & Toy Kingdom.
If it is the Burnie store, (most likely) they _did_ have heaps of old stock
around 2-3 years ago (which I failed to take full advantage of at the time,
see above).  I was on the NW coast the weekend before last and did the
Burnie Lego hunt quite thoroughly, I'm sorry to say the only old
stock they still have is 2 or 3 Duplo zoo related sets (if anyone wants
details on these email me but I'm not in a position to go and get them...)

If it was the Wynyard store I've only just found out that it exists
(10 days too late).  You could try phoning them, in my experience smaller
stores are quite willing to help if they can (but I'd ask if they had Lego
in a particular theme rather than quoting set numbers upfront - this isn't
likely to get you far, I'm not quite sure why some toy-sellers have trouble
with the concept!)

There are a few other possibilities for old Lego stock in Tas but I wouldn't
hold out any great hope, I've done Hobart, Launceston and Burnie thoroughly
in recent times without luck.  I'll get back to you all on the others
sometime soon.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com