 Local / Australia / 751
Re: Australian Roll Call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 12:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Rachel Kingston writes:

Thanks for the welcome (and everyone else too!)

I am aiming to get into technic soon, as I really want the RIS (maybe for
xmas, I have started hinting already) you sound like you are pretty competant
with it, what is the difference between 1 and 1:5 do you know?

I think you've got me confused with Kerry here.  I'm interested in getting
into Technic and Mindstorms but haven't done so yet (it's that single
salary family thing!).  I was hinting for the RIS last Christmas but
obviously didn't do it loudly enough, I've started earlier this year and
am making sure I'm heard :)  I'm under the impression from what was reported
from the US Toyfair that we're getting some new Mindstorms stuff later this
year, so maybe the delay will be worth it.  Anyone have any details on what
we're likely to see in Aus?

At www.legomindstorms.com (look under products) it says that the purpose
of the upgrade (i.e. RIS 1.5) was to offer more assistance to new
Mindstorms users including specific set building instructions.  It mentions
elsewhere on the site that you need 1.5 for the new sensors but can
upgrade your 1.0 firmware.

The Duplo sets that you mentioned I could be interested in, though prior to
reading your post I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more (well
except for the new toolo, and the passenger train and maybe a couple of
tunnels.....) The large zoo set #2669 and the smaller zoo set #2668 could

Your bank account is safe for the moment, the sets were 1994/95 zoo/animal
park era.

From what I've seen of the new Duplo trains I'm not all that impressed, but
will wait until I see them in the plastic (if we actually get them here?!).
The tunnel is ugly but my son insists we're getting one, I suppose
I can give in!

I think that, in general, the Duplo ranges from 1999/2000 pale compared
to the mid-90s but I have bought some newer stuff (despite the fact my son
is rapidly growing out of it.) However, if it doesn't improve I think my
Duplo collection will be considered pretty much complete.
Same thing goes for our System city.

Guess I'll have more money to save for Technic (and I thought the rest of
it was expensive!)

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com