 Local / Australia / 6019
Re: US dollars. Which bank should I rob?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:19:37 GMT

Hi James,

Westpac works for me, but I do have a mastercard account with them. The
only
hassle is the queue which always takes 10 to 15 minutes to get through.
I tend to
always have about $20 US in ones and fives to pay for all the little
spare parts
purchases I make.

Western Union IMO's cost about $8.00 AUD plus a lousy exchange rate at
this end
and whoever you send them to will get charged a fee to cash them. Bank
drafts cost
$15.00 but aren't accepted readily overseas.
Moneygrams or telegraphic transfers are quick, secure and very expensive
for
sending values under about $150 AUD as charges are based on a % of the
value or a
minimum charge of ...something obscene.

Personal cheques are the best, provided they are for values under $100
AUD as over
this figure, the receiving bank will not release the funds until the
amount is
verified, which can take 6 to 8 weeks. Cheques in Australian dollars
seem to be
accepted by almost as many countries as checks in pounds and US dollars.

Paypal is probably the easiest, quickest and most painless although
their exchange
rates aren't very encouraging. I continue to find it odd that they
require you to
have a bank account to make withdrawals to from paypal but you can't
make deposits
from this same bank account to paypal. They will only accept payments
via a credit
card but will not allow payments to a credit card.

Each time you put money into or take money out of paypal, you are
charged a fee
plus the obligatory exchange rate.

In conclusion, no matter which way you go about it, your going to get
shafted, it
just the degree you have control over.

Mark H.

James Howse wrote:

With the advent of e-mail verification, finally members has a clear
advantage. Or at least, that's how it seems to me. Because of this I've
decided to get my Pesos into gear and change them for some Universal(TM)
dollars.

ECON 101 Exam.
You have 30mins. Answer at least ONE question. More questions may be attempted
and your grade will be the highest scoring question. All questions are of
equal value. Good luck

ANSWER
Does anyone have some US dollars lying around I can buy at a competitive rate?
OR
Can anyone recommend the best bank/service/man-in-the-street to get some of
the aforementioned greenbacks from?
OR
Are the any up-coming financial thingys that may affect the exchange rate
that I ought know about and hence exchange before/after?

James (who's in the middle of exam cycle, can you tell?