 Local / Australia / 5967
Re: Ogel Control Centre at Kmart (was Re: Buyonicle unmasked)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:48:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:

Did a Kmart run on the way home, just on the off chance, and I'm now the
(proud?) owner of one Ogel Control Centre.  It was $99.99 at Kmart Newtown
(Hobart), the Eastlands store does not have them in stock.

I was suprised at the price, I was expecting it to be a $160 or so set, but
then not being familiar with the pool and drive baseplate in it's original
incarnation and only having the catalog picture to go from, I thought the
set was much bigger than it actually is.

The baseplate is a useful one.

I like the set, while the models aren't fantastic, they're not bad either
and there is good building in it.  I do wonder how much Ogel's back must
hurt if he spends too much time in the shuttle!

He does look a bit surly.

I'm uncertain whether it's value for money, I suppose it is a good sign that
I don't feel ripped off as I did with other recent purchases (eg the
Belville Enchanted Garden bought at 20% off making it $79 instead of $99 was
still "I can't believe I paid that much for this?!!"  I mean, what is that,
a $50 scarf??).

I noticed the scarf option for the tea-towel this week on the box back.
Probably looks better on the Nordic pre-teen than it would on me.
The $99 is still scaring me off, especially for a handful of transparent
elements.

On another Kmart note:
Both Kmarts had items on clearance, items marked down varied slightly
between the stores. Eg Action Wheelers Rescue Base $50, Racers Grip n Go
$33, The pullback motor yellow Racer $24, Technic Road Rebel $3.50, some
smaller Star Wars and City sets, some Basic sets.

Kmart retail prices are the high for new sets, but their clearance prices
are some of the best.