 Local / Australia / 315
Re: This is the Admiral culling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:04:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Peter White wrote in message ...
When did all the pirates disappear from these fair shores ?

I think I bought the last pirate ship in Victoria, an Armada Flagship from a
Toyworld in Sale. I don't regret it because A) it was a good price B) it was
my first C) it's gonna be played with my myself and my descendants, and D)
to date it's the only one I ever saw in a store.

Does their unavailability make people want them more ?

The sheer beauty of the Black Seas Barracuda has something to do with it, I
think. One of the finest looking sets TLC ever made. I accidentally ended up
with two, fortunately for myself they didn't cost an arm and a leg, just a
leg (figuratively speaking). I really don't know what to do with the second
one.... ;-)

On my extensive road trips, the TW Armidale owner related how someone had • rang
and mailed them from Western Australia requesting any/all of their pirate
stock. They supposedly did this to every toystore in Australia.

Sounds a bit like Mark Harrison. He once said he rang almost every toy store
in the country. He doesn't live in WA, however.

Who is/was this person ? Is it an ebay magnate living in comfortable
retirement or was it a ploy by 'the Admiral' to rid the world of these
rascally characters. Maybe they returned home to face justice back in the
old country.

If your out there, browsing loc.au own up and show us some pictures if they
have been put to good use.

Mark's collection sounds like a truly impressive one (part of which is
_four_ 7740s!!!). I think he's almost certainly made what he spent back by
selling/trading overseas, and he probably has a non-Lego spouse to which he
must financially justify his expensive hobby.
Which is fair enough IMO, at least he's preserving as much of Australia's
good Lego heritage as he can afford to, unlike certain selfish Australian
eBay swine[1] who have plundered it just so they can pay off their
mortgage/renovation/Holden-Special-Vehicle/Whitsundays-holiday/whatever. May
their prawns burn on the barbie and their Crown Lager go flat.
Good use.....yeah, great use. feh.  :-(

....anyway, we could see if Mark has any photos of his collection that he's
willing to share with us, but judging by how rarely he posts here I doubt
he's interested in that sort of thing. Personally I'd love to see it. Heck,
maybe he's got a site that I never knew about.

Regarding pirate sets, hope is not lost. There is always a vague possibility
that DYA shopping may put some more on their website. They e-mail frequent
customers of new items, and I also check their site regularly, they've had
pirate sets from time to time. If they ever put pirates on their site I
could post it to loc.au, which would probably be too slow if it was pirate
_ships_, but I'd probably buy as many as I could afford and just distribute
them to the rest of you at cost.
DYA shopping's toy page is
http://www.dya-shopping.com/uk/boutique/home2offre.html  I've bought a lot
from them, they've got good prices and excellent service. Some sets were
significantly cheaper to buy there than here, even with shipping! And it'll
beat eBay any day.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

[1] I wouldn't name names, as I only heard of them in passing and I don't
know enough facts about them, suffice it to say they were (and probably
still are) in it for a quick buck and couldn't give a rat's rear-end about
Lego. One of them might be from WA I guess....