 Local / Australia / 316
Re: I have an idea... (regards the range of sets we get)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:44:35 GMT

Peter White wrote in message ...

Hi Paul,
  It would be great to see LUG's in every capital city (dreaming one day • of
an annual convention/Legofest). The next Legoz is scheduled for June 4th • and
since it's at my place I hope to post some commentary while it happens, it
would be great to have webcam available. Any interstate visitors would be
welcome, but I am sure the cost of travel would be better spent on block
purchases.

Oh, I don't know. I quite like the idea of travelling ~900km across
Australia on a carefully planned route that visits a couple of dozen toy
shops, I enjoy driving a lot and even if I only find one good set I'd
probably think it was worth it. I could theoretically even look out for what
people told me they wanted, and they could reimburse me for it when I
arrived.
In any case it's a lot less boring than sitting around waiting for '98-'99
sets to go on clearance.... ;-)

  We are pretty spread out here in NSW, it seems you can't have two AFOL's
residing within 10km of each other.
  Have you and Ben met in person yet, maybe set a formal meeting date and
place and see who comes out of the woodwork, what about Kaz ?

Yeah, Ben and I actually met a couple of weeks ago, I arranged a Saturday
morning run up into the country, he heard there was a shop might be selling
Lego in Rushworth. We got there, no Lego in Rushworth whatsoever :-( We did
both find a couple of sets we wanted later on when we drove to Seymour and
back to Melbourne. In any case, we had a good old yarn about what we had,
what we wanted, we even traded a few bricks. He was kind enough to trade me
a red and a black Futuron minifig which completed my space 'fig collection.

  Did you manage to get hold of a 7171 on clearance at K-Mart. If you want
one email me and I'll get one and mail it for $ 94.90 plus postage.
But you should be able to find one in Melbourne, they have been in various
K-M's here for a number of weeks.

It's puzzling, they _were_ here and there in Melbourne K-Marts, but then
there was a space of about five days where I didn't go to K-Mart, the next
thing I know is they're on discount - no, they've all gone!!! Just unlucky,
I guess. Shouldn't complain, really, I've probably had a few more lucky
finds than some. Comes from a _lot_ of hunting, a bit like yourself from the
sound of it.
In any case, I think I would like one, yes, but hold off for a couple of
days because Kaz mentioned a place for me to look here in Melb.

I'm a big fan of Toy Kingdom, they're the go. Their prices may not be much
better than Toyworld but they do have a clearance centre or two, and
generally the Lego range seems a bit better at Toy Kingdom. Sadly they've
had to close a lot of their stores.

Incidentally, if anyone sees 6580 land jets for <$20 I'd like to know.

  While travelling through rural Victoria I didn't see one set of Night
Lords Castle (whereas I saw 7 in rural NSW), so there must be some Castle
Heads in your state.

I've seen a few around Melbourne, and I even found some Dragon Masters sets
once (which nicely completed my castle theme collection). If I see any more
Castle I'd probably inform people of it rather than buy it, unless I were to
then forward it to someone. I'm a fan of the "take only what you really
want" approach to Lego collecting.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164