 Local / Australia / 321
Re: I have an idea... (regards the range of sets we get)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 01:50:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Peter White wrote in message ...

Our group in Sydney have been ravaged by the sales, last week we were only
meant to be looking at a pirate display and they had half-price on SW 99 at
the Target next to it.

Heh, tell me about it, I was only going to spend $95 on Lego today and I
spent $180. Found two Exploriens bases cheap, being a space builder who
likes domes I found it too hard to resist.

In any case it's a lot less boring than sitting around waiting for '98-'99
sets to go on clearance.... ;-)

Now we have Grace Bros. and TRU 20% off !

Hmm, as someone said (I think it was Peter Callaway), 80% of very expensive
is still fairly expensive. I think Target occasionally does 25% off, I
usually save up for that and buy a big batch. Did that with the 2000 SW sets
a couple of months ago.

Nothing like the motivation of a country drive. Since you like driving I'll
tell you about my rural trawls thru NSW and VIC. I did the north NSW coast
travelling back thru Armidale down the New England Hwy thru Tamworth and
Dubbo to Sydney. The highlight was a train from 1991 at Armidale.

What train was it? Last Monday I found an International Jetport at Stawell
Toyworld, something I was both surprised and thrilled to find, as I'd never
had either of the airport sets in my collection (I'm trying to get a good
Town set of every "type", mainly for the future when I have kids).

  Then there was the trip thru Vic. that went Albury/Wodonga , Benalla ,
Yarrawonga , Shepparton , Bendigo , Ballarat , Gisborne , Bacchus Marsh ,
Geelong , Colac , Portland , Mt.Gambier , Horsham and back to Sydney thru
Hay at night.

Heh, I've been to most of these and I too saw virtually nothing. It's also
nice to know of another couple of towns to cross off the list.

I kept away from Melbourne because of the poor pickings in
Metro Sydney. There wasn't as much on this trip as I thought apart from a
monorail expansion set(I don't have a monorail though to expand from),
a Harris Scarfe at Geelong had a nest of 6036 and a few smaller '93 sets .

I think that metro Melbourne's range of sets are generally better actually.
You just have to look in the right places, mostly Toyworld, Toy Kingdom and
independents (if you want older sets rather than clearance items). The ones
that do the best business seem to have more of the older stock moved to
them.

In Metro Sydney the big guys (Big W,Target,K-Mart,GB's and DJ's) really
control the market and there's only 4 Toyworlds, a few Toy Kingdoms(not as
good as the Vic.ones) and a few independent stores. Even World4kids was
absorbed by K-Mart except for two stand-alones.

That's pretty much the story in Melb. It's a shame to see how many small toy
shops have folded in the last couple of years. I was talking to a store
owner, he said they stopped stocking Lego because Lego stuffed them around,
trying to make them sell at below cost, compete with the "big stores", stuff
like that. He didn't go into detail but it was clear that they felt they
weren't benefiting from the relationship.
The really bizarre thing he said was that Lego sold direct to the public
from a shop somwhere in the city (Melb), "somewhere near Myer", he said.
This was news to me! He was adamant, however, as was a lady customer who was
listening to our conversation. They insisted that such a store existed. Has
anyone else heard such a thing? The phone books make no mention of it.

No rush here,my local K-M got another 20 7171's in the other day !!!!!

I finally found a couple of 7171's today, the only reason they were still
there is because they'd been opened :-( The one I bought was missing a
piece, but that was ok because I only wanted it for the other parts. It's
very strange that there should be such a difference between states though.
What is it that the New South Welsh dislike about the pod race set? We
Victorians think it's grouse, apparently. I certainly do. I'd probably buy a
couple more at some point, especially if they discount them even further.

Toyworlds have the upper hand in rural NSW.

Do NSW Toyworlds have a glut of the UFO set 6975? The store owners must hate
them down here, can't get rid of 'em. If only the store owners had better
taste in Lego and used it to size their orders, they'd have done sooo much
better..... did they really think those sets were all going to move? Maybe
all they need to do is looks at pictures of the sets before they order them.

Incidentally, if anyone sees 6580 land jets for <$20 I'd like to know.

I'll keep my eyes open, anything else.

Yep,
Shuttle Launch Pad, Royal Knight's Castle, Blacktron Renegade,
Launch-n-Load Seaport, Airport Shuttle, Imperial Trading Post, Skull's Eye
Schooner.....
;-)

Seriously though, I'm also currently interested in red roof tile packs
(633).

I've seen a few around Melbourne, and I even found some Dragon Masters • sets
once (which nicely completed my castle theme collection). If I see any • more
Castle I'd probably inform people of it rather than buy it, unless I were • to
then forward it to someone. I'm a fan of the "take only what you really
want" approach to Lego collecting.

Let me know of any '95 or earlier Castle.
Very ecologically sound last statement ;^)

Heh, I'm only human, I have trouble adhering to that rule sometimes.
Sometimes I also change my mind about a set a while after I've bought it.
I did buy a couple of Dragon Masters sets which I ended up having second
thoughts about keeping. Reply and we can talk trade if you like. Do you
still have the monorail pack?

Any out of state AFOL's are welcome at any Legoz event (we can probably
arrange a place to stay for visitors)

It's a pity it's not around Easter time, that way interstate visitors can
take advantage of the holiday period when they travel. Well, yeah I mean
me... :-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164