 Local / Australia / 2881
Re: New Pricing??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:23:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

<excellent summation>

I can't really add any more except to say that people shouldn't feel
constrained in speaking because someone else took offense, in and of itself.

No one has a right not to be offended by what others say. And I think it's a
good thing that this group has "local rules". USians who read here need to
keep that in mind. It makes it more fun and more "Aussie turf".

That said I still think the particular word in question was deliberately
chosen (by the originator of the rhyming slang phrase) to be offensive. The
thing about rhyming slang is that any word has hundreds of rhyming phrases
that could be chosen. I suspect that the particular phrase that catches on is
in part a factor of how clever or shocking it is...

(calling beers Britney is a clever turn of phrase that in some way difficult
to put ones finger on makes fun of Ms. Spears, a worthy target in my opinion)

But now that it's in common use, so be it. I reserve the right to get steamed
a little but so what? I'm a visitor here and that's my problem. 'kay?
++Lar