 Local / Australia / 2878
Re: New Pricing??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:22:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:

Well, I like to be able to keep Aussie slang alive. I actually prefer Aussie
slang to the Seppo stuff flooding our country...Anyway, being an Aussie
forum, I think we should be free to use any Aussie slang we like and to have
Seppo phrases excluded :-)

Didn't say you couldn't, just said I found it derogatory, that's all. Mostly I
was just taking the p*ss out of you anyway.

However, here's a thought experiment for you, one I don't know the answer to,
and one I don't necessarily want to debate in depth, just something to ponder.
Is it OK to use a word merely because it's in common use elsewhere? Suppose
that the scenario is the US in the '50s instead of Oz in the '00s, and the
word is "darky". I'd posit it isn't. But I dunno.

Everything I've seen so far is more expensive here than it is
in the US.
*everything*... As I've said before I think that has more to
do with the
overall choices your society has made about levels of
taxation and services
you want to have than it does with a TLC conspiracy to stick
it to the "lucky
country".

I don't doubt this...But do your observations take into account the diffence
in $aus to $us, or are you working on a $1 Aus = $1 US conversion?

Yes, even at the recently improved rates.

I wasn't actually referring to you in particular, but I was talking about
the way that your countrymen seem to expect that everything be arranged for
their benefit, and they don't seem to care about anyone else.

Well, we are the lone superpower, and saviour of the world, you know... just
ask any of us, we'll be glad to tell you all about it. :-)

Your theories about LA (which is not the same as LCSA, I do know the
difference) now getting a little internal competition are very interesting and
may indeed be the reason.

++Lar