 Local / Australia / 2886
Re: New Pricing??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:50:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Larry Pieniazek writes:

But now that it's in common use, so be it. I reserve the right to get steamed
a little but so what? I'm a visitor here and that's my problem. 'kay?
++Lar

Fiercely proud of Australia and a defender of Australians against all comers
as I am, and uncommon as it is for me to find myself on the ++Lar side of an
argument du jour, I think Larry's entirely justified in being a bit steamed.

I really can't imagine any way in which this kind of derogatory can be
defended as anything else but a specific derogatory.  And I don't come across
it as part of day to day language any more than we use pounds shillings and
pence as currency.

Which is not to say that historical derogatories don't have their place.  I
use them myself from time to time as supports my goals ;-)

But to suggest that they are not meant to be derogatory and cause offence
seems a bit silly.

That'd be my 2c
(or would 2p now be considered acceptable in all cases :-)

Richard
Still baldly going...